Friday, August 17, 2012

The Next Steps

As summer fades, it's hard not to feel a little bit nostalgic already.

In another month or so, someone else will be inhabiting my office. They will have a great opportunity to move a dynamic organization in yet another direction.

Our Search & Screen Committee is working hard to identify the right person. I'm excited, because although I will be moving on to other ventures - some of them typical retirement pastimes, like reading, gardening and genealogy - I will also have the opportunity to watch the chamber grow.

Five years ago, we were an events management organization. We were newly merged, too, and sort of feeling our way in the community. Thanks to a lot of people working together, we were able to sort through programs and events from two chambers and create a third business-oriented organization.

None of this diminishes the work of previous executive directors or previous boards. Gary Nadolny and his board did a masterful job of implementing the merger of the two chambers, after decades of conversation about the wisdom of such a merger.  Prior to that, people like Nancy Douglas and Mary Robbins Eickman built solid foundations and reputations. It's been a honor serving after them.

But I'm excited to see what happens next. You should be, too!

I have a great deal of confidence in our Search & Screen Committee. Under the leadership of Paula Langteau, the committee has spent many hours creating a position profile and sifting through applications.

But it's not over until it's over. These things take time.

Meanwhile, I'm wrapping up lose ends and working hard to ensure the next director walks into a streamlined and organized office. There are many challenges ahead.

As for my own future, I've heard lots of rumors of what I'm supposedly doing. It's been fun. For years I had my own little writing and communications business and I hope to start that up again, among other things.

But first I have to clean out my office.




No comments: